Sheffield Town Hall is a court on Pinstone Street in the City of Sheffield, England. The building is utilized by Sheffield Common council, as well as likewise consists of a publicly displayed collection of silverware. It is a Grade I listed building.
The existing building, commissioned to change the Old Town Hall, was created by the London-based architect Edward William Mountford in the Renaissance Revival style as well as built between 1890 as well as 1897. The building was opened by Queen Victoria, making use of a push-button control lock from her carriage, on 21 May 1897. The turning of the type in the lock triggered a light in the structure which was the signal for three hidden guys to open up the gates.
An extension created by F. E. P. Edwards was opened by the Prince of Wales on 29 Might 1923.
The gardens were first outlined in 1938, complying with the demolition of St Paul’s Church. Initially called St Paul’s Gardens, they were quickly nicknamed the “Tranquility Gardens”, noting the modern signing of the Munich Arrangement.
An extension developed in the Brutalist design was contributed to the eastern of the Tranquility Gardens in 1977; nicknamed The Egg-Box after its appearance, it was destroyed in 2002.
The design of the exterior resembled to a specific level the design of the nearby St. Paul’s Church of 1720 (currently knocked down). During construction, the building was criticised for its expensive decorations. The exterior is built of Stoke rock from the Stoke Hall Quarry in Grindleford, Derbyshire and also is decorated with carvings by F. W. Pomeroy. The friezes illustrate the markets of Sheffield, and also the 64-metre-high clock-tower is prevailed over by a sculpture of Vulcan. Bells were never ever installed in the clock-tower, but in 2002 an electronic bell sound system was added to offer per hour strikes and Westminster-style quarter chimes.
The entry contains screens showing HMS Sheffield and results in the Main Entrance Hall with a grand marble staircase. This likewise has an Electrolier an electric light fixture, part of the original illumination of the building. The wall surfaces include friezes consisting of a depiction of the slaying of the Dragon of Wharncliffe. On the initial landing is a statue of the initial Lord Mayor Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 15th Duke of Norfolk.
The first floor has a gallery running its size which can be split into 4 areas by means of powered oak panels coming down from the ceiling. The south space is the Lord Mayor’s Parlour which is kept permanently split. On the very same flooring is the oak-panelled Council Room and also its antechamber, which has above its door the recommendations “Be Ye wise as serpents and also harmless as doves”, a spiritual quotation.